Geology and exploration of mineral deposits
Description of the specialty: Nowadays, specialty “Geology and exploration of mineral deposits” is among demanded specialties. The program “Geology and exploration of mineral deposits” provides knowledge and competence for work in organizations conducting geological exploration, companies of geological services in oil producing enterprises.
Geology is a specialty of increased demand, as the prospecting and exploration of oil and gas fields, as well as the calculation of oil and gas reserves have tremendous strategic importance in the development of country economy. Geologists are engaged not only in the search for oil and gas, they also investigate other types of mineral deposits and determine the economic significance of the deposit, and then give recommendations for industrial development of minerals resources.
Profession of geologist is multifaceted as geology is divided into the following branches: oil and gas geology, geophysics, hydrogeology, engineering geology, petrophysics, solid mineral geology, etc.
Training of doctoral students in the specialty “Geology and exploration of mineral deposits” is carried out according to the state order and the needs of the labor market, providing high-quality vocational training and it provides for trainees general and special knowledge, abilities and skills, professional systems of competence in the field of production and technology, research, organizational and management, design -survey and pedagogical spheres.
Advantages of training: After graduating PhD doctor “Geology and exploration of mineral deposits” will have opportunities for promotion, career growth in scientific, scientific-pedagogical, higher educational institutions and production organizations.
Opportunities of students in the frame of the specialty: Doctoral students in the specialty “Geology and exploration of mineral deposits” are engaged in scientific and research work in order to improve practical skills and theoretical training.
In the planned mode, in order to support the research work of doctoral students, work is carried out to organize internships, academic mobility. Doctoral students have the opportunity to participate in various competitions, conferences and international symposiums and other events that are held at a high level.
There is the international professional organization of technical specialists of oil production – the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) at CSUTI named after Sh. Yessenov. It provides doctoral students with comprehensive assistance and support in acquiring both theoretical knowledge and practical skills.
Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan provides Grants for the specialty of doctoral studies.
Doctoral students pass scientific-research, experimental-research practices and scientific internships abroad.
Doctoral students are members of the Faculty Academic Council, actively participate in public life of the faculty and university.
Abilities of doctoral candidates who completed PhD doctorate in the specialty “Geology and exploration of mineral deposits”: During the period of study, doctoral students form general scientific and specialized knowledge, acquire abilities and skills in the field of production, technology, research, organizational -management, design -research and teaching activities.
After graduation, doctoral students:
- are able to adapt regional and local stratigraphic charts to the goals of geological mapping;
- apply geophysical methods during prospecting and exploration of deposits and geological mapping;
- determine the categories of reserves, prospective and forecast resources; groups of oil and gas reserves of industrial importance;
- have the skills of extracting from the seismic data the most complete and reliable information, implementing structural constructs, evaluating the reliability of the results and the prospects of this object;
- use petrophysical fundamentals of geological interpretation of geophysical data; principles of complex interpretation of geophysical information;
- are able to analyze a variety of information about the geological structure.
- are able to process and analyze historical geological information and make conclusions about the features of the geological structure of the area;
- are able to build geological model of the deposit.
PhD doctor on the specialty “Geology and exploration of mineral deposits» will be able to work in the following sectors:
- scientific research and design institutes;
- large oil companies;
- department of geology and subsoil use;
- exploration and drilling companies;
- enterprises of geophysical service;
- scientific and production centers;
- domestic and foreign enterprises on subsoil use;
- government agencies;
- political and public organizations, etc.
Specialty code: 6D070600
Academic degree: (Ph.D) philosophy doctor in ” Geology and exploration of mineral deposits ”
Form and period of study: full-time
On the scientific and pedagogical direction: 3 years